With powdered sugar in the dough and the glaze, these light lemon cookies are guaranteed to melt in your mouth (and they're vegan!).
- 1 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar (vegan)
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (the zest from two large lemons)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup powdered sugar (vegan, for glaze)
- 6 teaspoons lemon juice (for glaze)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (for glaze)
- 1 dash salt (for glaze)
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Place the shortening, the first portion of powdered sugar, lemon zest, the first portion of vanilla extract, and salt into a mixing bowl. Use a hand mixer to beat on medium speed for 1 minute, or until the mixture is pale and well-combined.
- Add the flour, cornstarch, and salt to the bowl, and beat on low speed, scraping the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed, until a smooth dough forms. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Remove the bowl from the refrigerator. Divide the cookie dough into 24 balls, using about 1 Tablespoon of dough for each, and arrange 3 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Transfer the baking sheets to the middle racks of the preheated oven. Bake the cookies for 14-16 minutes, until they are very lightly golden at the edges.
- Remove the baking sheets from the oven. Allow the cookies to rest on the sheets for 5-10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack.
- While the cookies cool, make the glaze. Whisk together the remaining powdered sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and salt until smooth. The glaze should be the consistency of very thick cream. If it is too thick, add a bit more lemon juice. If it is too thin, add a few tablespoons of powdered sugar, and whisk until the desired consistency is reached.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cookies.
|Calories300Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.