This reminds me of going to my sister's as she always makes this for the kids so I promised her one day I would make a healthy alternative for her and here it is! This is vegan however you can add cheese instead of the nutritional yeast. The nutritional yeast gives it that cheesy flavour.
- 50 grams vegan butter
- 50 grams gluten free flour
- 600 milliliters rice milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (or 125g hard goats cheese for non vegan)
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds (or 25g hard goats cheese for non vegan)
- 330 grams cauliflower
- Chop the cauliflower into bite size florets.
- Part boil or steam the cauliflower until it still as a bite to it (not quite soft) Boiling takes about 2 minutes and steaming takes about 5 minutes and put to one side.
- On a low heat melt the butter and slowly add the flour and whisk to make a roux.
- Gradually add a quarter of the milk to make a paste.
- Add the remainder of the milk and stir in the salt and pepper and nutritional yeast.
- Whisk over a medium heat until the sauce starts to thicken. This will take 3-4 minutes. (add goats cheese now if you are going for this option)
- In a small baking dish put the cauliflower in the bottom and pour the white sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle the ground almonds over the top or the rest of the goats cheese and put into the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden and cauliflower is soft.
|Calories190Calories from Fat35|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat35|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.