- 3 eggs (separated, plus 2 egg yolks)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 2/3 cups milk
- 1 vanilla bean seeds (scraped out)
- 7 ounces redcurrants (and blackcurrants)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat 2 egg whites until stiff. Add a pinch of salt. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar. Fold in 2 egg yolks. Combine flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch, cocoa powder and baking powder. Fold into egg mixture. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and bake for 8-10 mins, until golden brown. Sprinkle sugar over a clean tea towel. Turn cake out onto tea towel and remove parchment paper. Let cool.
- For the vanilla cream, bring 1 1/2 cups milk, vanilla bean and vanilla bean seeds to a boil. Whisk together remaining milk, 1/4 cup sugar, 3 egg yolks and remaining cornstarch. Stir into boiling milk and simmer for 30 seconds. Set aside and let cool.
- For the currants, mix together currants, orange juice and remaining sugar. Set aside.
- For the meringue mixture, whip 1 egg white with a pinch of salt until stiff. Gradually whisk in 1/4 cup sugar. Transfer to a piping bag. Set aside.
- Cut discs of cake the same size as serving glasses. Layer vanilla cream, currants and cake in 4 serving glasses. Pipe meringue onto each trifle then brown tops using a kitchen blowtorch.
|Calories450Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.