Vanilla and Chocolate Loaf CakeL'Antro dell'Alchimista
Offering the best of both worlds, this loaf cake combines two batters — one vanilla and the other altered to include cocoa. Wax paper is used to separate the two when they're added to a buttered, almond-lined loaf pan. After an hour in the oven, it's read to cool on a wire rack before it's sliced and enjoyed for breakfast or with a spot of afternoon tea.
- 120 grams butter (at room temperature)
- 120 grams sugar
- 2 eggs (weighing 120 gr.)
- 120 grams flour
- 40 grams cocoa
- grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- sliced almonds
- 1Preheat the oven to 170C.
- 2Add the sugar to the butter with a pinch of salt, and beat with an electric mixer until light and foamy.
- 3Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 4Add a pinch of salt, the grated lemon peel, and the vanilla extract to the flour.
- 5Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, use the hook attachment or a wooden spoon.
- 6Divide the batter into two parts, one weighing 250 grams and the other weighing 230 grams.
- 7Add the sifted cocoa to the dough weighing 230 grams.
- 8Butter a loaf pan well with some softened butter, line the pan with almond slices.
- 9Place a strip of wax paper down the center of the pan and add half of the vanilla batter on one side of the paper and half of the cocoa on the other side.
- 10Next add the other half of the vanilla batter on the cocoa batter and the remaining cocoa batter on top of the vanilla batter. Carefully remove the wax paper.
- 11Bake for approximately 1 hour.
- 12Remove the cake from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
PER SERVING *
|Calories530Calories from Fat270|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat270|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.