Vanilla Pots de Creme with Caramelized Pineapple and Puff Pastry FingersOn dine chez Nanou
These little desserts are big in flavor. The cream base is infused with vanilla beans and has a subtle tang from the addition of sour cream, while the pineapple topping is given depth by caramelizing the fruit in butter. Be sure to allow the topping to cool before assembling the pots, otherwise the cream will begin to melt. Toasted strips of puff pastry are crisp garnishes—perfect for dipping and scooping (or just nibbling on its own).
- 2 egg yolks
- 60 grams granulated sugar
- 1/4 vanilla pods
- 30 grams corn starch
- 250 grams whole milk
- 1 1/2 gelatin sheet
- heavy cream (25 cl., plus 2 tablespoons)
- 35 grams powdered sugar
- 1/2 pineapple
- 7 1/2 grams vanilla sugar
- 20 grams butter
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1First, prepare the vanilla pudding.
- 2Beat the yolks, 60 grams of granulated sugar, vanilla, and cornstarch.
- 3Heat the milk and when warm, add the egg / sugar / cornstarch mixture. Stir over low heat until it thickens. Pour directly into a bowl and place a plastic film over it to avoid the formation of a crust. Let it cool.
- 4When the vanilla cream is cold, whip it to give it a more uniform consistency.
- 5Put the gelatin in a bowl of cold water to soften it.
- 6Whisk 25 centiliters of sour cream to stiff peaks adding the powdered sugar.
- 7In a small bowl heat up 2 tablespoons of cream. Sprinkle the gelatin and stir in the hot cream, mix well to make sure it is well dissolved. Stir the cream into the vanilla mixture.
- 8Gradually add the whipped cream by gently folding the mixture so it stays fluffy.
- 9Pour into a pastry bag fitted with a fluted or simple tip with the shape you want. Let cool for 2 hours before use.
- 10When the cream is ready, distribute into glasses.
- 11Peel the pineapple by removing the skin and core, cut into small cubes.
- 12Heat the butter in a frying pan, add the diced pineapple and vanilla sugar.
- 13Cook over a brisk heat so that the fruit get quickly colored.
- 14Set aside.
- 15Preheat toaster.
- 16Unroll the puff pastry sheet. Cut strips 3 centimeters wide by 8 centimeters long.
- 17Bake the strips of dough for 2-3 minutes.
- 18Once they are cooked, open them through, place them on a baking sheet (toasted side up) sprinkle with powdered sugar and put them under the broiler of the oven until they are caramelized.
- 19Place diced caramelized pineapple on vanilla cream and serve with puff pastry strips. It is preferable to add the pineapple when it's cooler, otherwise it will melt the cream.
PER SERVING *
|Calories670Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.