Step up the Valentine’s Day dinner meal by baking this Middle-Eastern inspired dessert. Sweet, juicy, and the bursting sourness of raspberries and the lychee fruit are combined with the dainty Iraqi Isfahan. Commonly a subtle and hardy sweet treat, the freshness of Asian fruits gives the cake added vibrancy. The dish itself screams romance down to its pink hue and soft fruity aroma, but cutting this dish into a loving heart takes the cake!
- 160 grams sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- fresh raspberries
- raspberry coulis
- fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 130 degrees Celsius.
- Set aside 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar and mix the rest with cornstarch.
- Whisk whites, not too firm, add 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar (that was set aside) and continue to whisk 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the cornstarch mix and vinegar. Whisk about 4 minutes.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper, and grease.
- Either use a pastry bag to form the pavlova or, using a spatula, form circles of meringue with a hollow center that will host the fruit and cream.
- Bake from 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes. Cool in the open and turned off oven.
- The meringue will remain soft inside.
- 1 hour before serving, whip cream with icing sugar until firm, add rose water.
- To assemble dessert, add a tablespoon of candied roses in center of meringue circle, and then add whipped cream. Make it overflow a little bit over the edges of the meringue.
- Arrange the fruits alternating raspberries and lychees (peel the lychees and cut them in 4).
- Pour lines of raspberry coulis down side of meringue as pictured.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour maximum.
- Remove from refrigerator 5 minutes before serving, add some mint leaves and a little bit of icing sugar.
PER SERVING *
|Calories280Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.