- 2 1/2 cups penne (Barilla protein plus, cooked according to package instructions)
- 1 cauliflower head (small, florets cut out and rinsed)
- 1/4 cup red onions (minced)
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (I use silk because of its creamy texture)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- fresh oregano
- After you’ve cooked your penne, set it aside. Chop the cauliflower florets into small pieces making sure the stems are cut off completely and set aside in a large bowl. Place a skillet over medium heat and sauté your onions and coconut oil until fragrant. Set aside.
- Place a large pot over medium heat and bring the broth and water to a boil. Add the cauliflower florets and cook for 10 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using a small or medium strainer, place only the cauliflower in the blender, then add 1 cup of the broth, almond milk, onion mixture, thyme, salt and pepper and puree until smooth. You may add more broth and puree depending on how thick you want it.
- Pour cauliflower mixture 1 cup at a time into the cooked penne until all areas of the penne are creamed together. You don’t have to use the entire cauliflower sauce depending on how creamy you want the penne. Top with fresh oregano and serve. You can store any leftover cauliflower sauce in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
PER SERVING *
|Calories330Calories from Fat70|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat70|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.