This first place winner from Debbie Word of Mundelein, IL at the Lake County Fair makes filling sandwiches. Serve on whole wheat buns with your family's favorite side dishes.
- 3 pounds boneless blade pork roast
- 4 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onions (finely chopped)
- 1 cup red bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 cup green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 2 1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- Bring water to boil in a large stockpot over high heat, add pork, return to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 2 1/2 hours or until tender. Remove from water and cool slightly. Using a fork, pull meat away from bones and shred.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion and peppers until tender, stirring frequently. Add barbecue sauce and simmer 10 minutes. Add pork to barbecue mixture, cook 5 minutes to heat thoroughly, stirring occasionally.