This cake features a surprise layer in the middle that's revealed when it is cut into squares for serving. It's important that you cream the butter and sugar thoroughly before adding the eggs and beating until well incorporated. But avoid overmixing once the dry ingredients are added, stirring just until they are no longer visible. The oat, yogurt, and cinamon filling doubles as the topping, which turns a glorious shade of golden brown during baking.
- 120 grams margarine (softened)
- 180 grams sugar
- 2 eggs
- 250 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 200 grams cream (1 small package)
- 1 package greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup oat flakes
- Grease and flour a square or round cake pan.
- Set aside.
- For the batter: Beat the margarine and sugar until creamy. Add the eggs and beat to combine. Add the cream and Greek yogurt to combine. Stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and add to the batter. Mix until all ingredients are combined.
- For the filling:
- Mix together the cinnamon, white sugar, brown sugar and oats.
- Set aside.
- Place half the batter in the prepared pan and cover with half of the filling mixture.
- Gently cover with the remaining batter and top with the remaining filling mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Check for doneness and remove from oven.
- Allow to cool.
- Cut into squares or slices and serve.