This Tuscan-inpired bread is stuffed with savory sausage and sauteed mushrooms for a hearty and flavor-packed snack. The sausage adds a nice bit of spice while the mushrooms make for an earthy little flavor. The bread comes together fairly easily and makes for a great project to work on with the whole family. Try these for brunch with poached or sunny-side-up eggs for a filling and delicious meal that is best enjoyed with a crowd.
- 500 grams flour (lose and a little more for dusting)
- 25 grams fresh yeast (one tablet)
- 1 pinch salt (the stuffing was already salty)
- extra-virgin olive oil (4 tblsps.)
- 275 milliliters warm water
- 200 grams spicy sausage
- 1 handful mushrooms (black trumpets)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Shred the yeast and put in a bowl with water.
- In a bowl, mix the flour with the salt and oil. Add the yeast and water mixture and knead for about ten minutes until getting a smooth and elastic dough. Make a ball and put it in the bowl to rise, covering it with a cotton cloth for at least an hour or until it doubles its size.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Dice the onion and fry it with a little oil. Add the thoroughly cleaned mushrooms and saute. Once off the heat, add the crumbled spicy sausage.
- Put the dough on the slightly floured work surface and cut into 8 servings (more or less depending on the size of the rolls you wish to make). One by one, roll them into balls.
- Flatten slightly and add filling to each of them. Close the parcels, giving them the desired shape (rounded or elongated). Put them on the baking tray, leaving space between them, as they will grow. Cover and let them rise for another hour. Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Before placing them in the oven sprinkle with a little flour.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, depending on their size. Remove them and let them cool on a rack.