Turkey and Spices PastriesMarmita
These empanada style savory pastries make the perfect appetizer for your next get together or can be a fun snack to share with family and friends. Marinated in a lemon-paprika marinade and sauteed in balsamic vinegar and fresh herbs, the turkey filling is flavorful and tender. This recipe includes instructions for preparing your pastry dough. Allow the meat to marinate for at least 30 minutes before cooking and allow the pastry dough at least one hour and a half to rest before shaping and filling.
- 75 grams butter
- 100 milliliters water
- 270 grams plain flour
- 200 grams turkey mince
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel (finely)
- coarse salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 fresh thyme (stems)
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- pepper (pink, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 eggs
- poppy seeds (to taste)
- 1Place the butter in a mixer or food processor, beat until it becomes liquid, add water, a pinch of salt, and beat some more.
- 2Add the flour, and beat to soft dough.
- 3Remove the dough, and let rest for 1 1/2 hours.
- 430 minutes before cooking, marinate the meat with lemon zest, coarse salt, and and paprika.
- 5Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 6Heat the margarine in skillet, add the meat and saute for 3 minutes.
- 7Add the thyme and spices a spoonful at a time, and make sure they don't stick to the pan, if necessary, add 2 tablespoons of water. Add pink pepper to taste.
- 8Let spices meld with the flavor of the meat.
- 9Add balsamic vinegar, and simmer until vinegar is reduced.
- 10Put the meat mixture in the blender, and chop for a few seconds, until the meat is finely chopped.
- 11On a floured surface, roll out the dough very thin.
- 12Use a glass to make small circles in the dough.
- 13Place the meat on one side of the circles, and fold in half to close, pressing with your fingers or with a fork to seal the pastry.
- 14Continue this process until all the dough is used up.
- 15Place the pastries on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- 16Brush the top of the pastries with a beaten egg, and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- 17Bake for about 30 minutes.
PER SERVING *
|Calories910Calories from Fat340|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat340|
|% DAILY VALUE*|