This Tunisian lime marmelade has only two ingredients and with a little preparation it is easy to make. It makes a delicious toast or yogurt topping, or you can put it in jars with decorated labels for a lovely gift. You can also use this as a filling with a simple butter cookie sandwich or French macaroons.
- 1 kilogram lime (Tunisia, untreated if possible)
- 600 grams sugar
- 1 sterile gauze
- The day before, squeeze the juice of half the limes.
- Wash the other half in water. Cut into thin slices, and then cut each slice into quarters.
- Remove seeds and place them in gauze, tie gauze with food string.
- Put the lime wedges, juice, and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Place gauze with seeds in bowl. Cover and let rest overnight.
- The next day, put mixture from bowl, including gauze with the seeds, in a large saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat for 30 to 35 minutes while stirring constantly.
- The jam is ready when you pour a drop onto a clean plate and it freezes.
- Remove from heat and immediately put the jam into sterilized jars.
- Screw the lid on and let the jars cool upside down.