Tuna noodle casserole is always a family favorite, and this version just might become your new go to recipe. Elbow macaroni soaks up the luscious white sauce (egg yolks add incredible richness) in the oven in delicious fashion, while flaked canned tuna adds substance to make it more of a complete meal, especially if the dish is served with a green salad or sauteed spinach or other hearty greens alongside.
- 300 grams elbow macaroni
- 20 grams butter
- 20 grams flour
- 50 milliliters milk
- 200 milliliters cream
- 2 egg yolks
- salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- ground nutmeg (to taste)
- 3 cans tuna (drained)
- 150 grams Emmenthal (grated)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Cook pasta in plenty of boiling, salted water and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and heat until lightly browned.
- Add flour and stir until golden.
- Slowly stir in milk, stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
- Bring to boil and continue to stir constantly.
- Cook until mixture thickens slightly and mix in cream.
- Remove from heat and add egg yolks.
- Season with salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Add tuna and mix well.
- Drain the pasta and rinse in cold water.
- Drain again and pasta to pan with tuna and sauce.
- Blend well.
- Spread a layer of pasta mixture in the bottom of a baking dish and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Cover with another layer of pasta and repeat steps until there are no ingredients left, ending with grated cheese.
- Arrange small pieces of butter over the surface.
- Bake in preheated oven until cheese is hot and bubbly, for about 10-15 minutes.