- 2 tuna steaks (lrgs, about 8 oz each)
- 1 cup juice (lime, fresh)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano (toasted *)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 allspice (whole)
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns (black)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 clove
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 garlic clove (peeled)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove (minced, toasted **)
- 1 cup vinegar (red wine)
- 1 cup oil (olive)
- onion (medium, sweet, sliced into thin rings)
- 2 chilies (red, sliced into thin rings)
- ** Mince the garlic, and saute it quickly in a very hot pan with as little olive oil as possible. Toast it until it's slightly browned. Remove from heat and reserve.
- Marinate the steaks in lime juice, water, and salt for 1 hour.
- Sauce:In a grinder or mortar, put the toasted oregano, bay leaves, allspice, peppercorns, cumin seeds, whole clove, salt, coriander, cinnamon stick, fresh garlic clove, and sugar. Grind thoroughly then add toasted garlic.
- Put the ground mixture in a saute pan and add 3/4 of a cup of water, 1/2 cup of red wine vinegar, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Assembly:Meanwhile, remove the steaks from the marinade, take off their skins, cube, then pat dry.
- Heat another saute pan, then add olive oil. Put the Tuna into the pan and saute until it has a light, golden crust.
- Reserve the Tuna on a serving dish.
- Pour the oil from the pan and deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup red wine vinegar. Add herb and vinegar sauce to deglazed pan and bring to a boil.
- Add a touch of water if sauce becomes too thick.
- Spoon sauce over fish and garnish with sweet onions and red chilies.
- Serve at room temperature.
PER SERVING *
|Calories720Calories from Fat570|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat570|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.