Triple Chocolate CheesecakeYummly
With a chocolate cookie crust, smooth chocolate filling, and a rich chocolate ganache topping, this Triple Chocolate Cheesecake may be one of the most decadent desserts you'll ever eat. A finish of flaky sea salt makes it truly unforgettable.
- 8 ounces cream filled chocolate sandwich cookies (like Oreo)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 pounds cream cheese (brick-style, at room temperature)
- 1 1/8 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs (at room temperature)
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- sea salt flakes (for sprinkling)
- 1Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- 2Lightly grease the sides of a 9-inch spring-form pan with softened butter.
- 3Create four sheets of tin foil approximately 18” long each. Lay one sheet of tinfoil over another to create a cross.
- 4Make another foil cross with the remaining two sheets of tin foil, and position it at an angle over the first cross, creating a jagged circle.
- 5Place the spring-form pan in the center of the foil circle. Pull the edges of the foil up the sides of the pan and tightly secure on the top edges of the pan. Pack the foil closely to the circumference of the pan.
- 6Place the chocolate sandwich cookies in the bowl of a food processor or high-powered blender. Pulse into fine crumbs.
- 7Transfer the cookie crumbs to a mixing bowl.
- 8Place the butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30-40 seconds, until melted.
- 9Pour the melted butter over the cookie crumbs. Use a large fork to mix until the crumbs are evenly moistened and hold together when pinched.
- 10Carefully turn the cookie crumb mixture into the spring-form pan.
- 11Using a tamper or the bottom of a heavy glass, tightly pack the crumbs into the base of the pan, creating an even crust.
- 12Transfer the spring-form pan to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- 13Bake the crust for 9-11 minutes, until the edges just begin to brown.
- 14Remove the crust from the oven and set aside to cool.
- 15Reduce the oven temperature to 350° F.
- 16Break the semisweet chocolate into small pieces into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high in 30 second increments, stirring between each, until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- 17Place the cream cheese and granulated sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium-high speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl periodically, for 5 minutes, until the mixture is completely smooth and no lumps remain.
- 18Add the melted chocolate, sour cream, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt to the bowl. Continue to beat on medium-high speed for 1-2 minutes, until the chocolate and cream are fully incorporated into the cream cheese.
- 19Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- 20Turn the mixer to the lowest speed. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing just until no yellow streaks remain. The batter will should be the consistency of thick yogurt.
- 21Pour the batter into the cooled cookie crust.
- 22Lightly tap the spring-form pan on a countertop 4-5 times to release any air bubbles.
- 23Place the spring-form pan inside a large roasting pan. Carefully fill the roasting pan with water, only until it reaches about ¾” up the sides of the spring-form pan
- 24Carefully transfer the pan to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- 25Bake the cheesecake for 80-95 minutes, taking care to not open the oven door while it bakes. Test that the cheesecake is done by gently shaking the pan. The edges should be firm, and the very center still slightly wobbly.
- 26Turn off the oven and crack the door open 1-2”. Allow the cheesecake to rest in the oven for 1 hour.
- 27Remove the cheesecake from the oven and transfer to the refrigerator.
- 28Refrigerate the cheesecake for a minimum of 6 hours, preferably overnight.
- 29To unmold the cheesecake, carefully run a butter knife around the inside edges of the pan. Undo the clasp and slowly remove the sides in an upward motion.
- 30Break the semisweet chocolate into small pieces into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds until the chocolate is somewhat softened.
- 31Add the heavy cream the bowl of chocolate. Return the bowl to the microwave and microwave on high for and additional 25-30 seconds, until the cream just starts to bubble at the edges.
- 32Carefully remove the bowl from the microwave. Allow it to sit on the counter for 1 minute.
- 33Slowly begin to stir the chocolate and heavy cream. Continue stirring gently until the chocolate melts fully into the cream, and a smooth ganache forms.
- 34Spread the chocolate ganache in an even layer over the top of the cheesecake. Sprinkle a few flakes of sea salt over the ganache, if desired.
- 35Refrigerate the cheesecake for two hours, or until the ganache sets, before serving.