We’re not in the business of trashing food, literally or metaphorically. But we’re totally in the business of recreating dishes to make them healthier, less wasteful, and equally (if not superiorly) delicious. We’ve taken the nostalgic flavor of the blue box from your youth and given it a makeover. Out with all those ingredients you can’t pronounce and in with real food. Turmeric is kind of a tricky one to say but it’s a helluva lot easier than tripolyphosphate. It’s trashy, it’s tasty, and you can kraft it in less time than you can kraft anything outta the box.
- 2 cups dried macaroni (or whatever small shaped pasta you’ve got)
- 1 Tbsp. turmeric
- 4 cups cheese (any cheese or mix of cheeses, we like sharp white cheddar)
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- salt (staple)
- olive oil (staple)
- Start the mac - Place a large pan over high heat. Pour the macaroni straight into the dry pan. Add hot water to the pan to barely cover the macaroni. Sprinkle your turmeric into the pan and stir as the macaroni slowly absorbs the liquid.
- Get cheesy - Grate or chop your cheeses. Check on your macaroni, add a little more hot water as it continues to be absorbed (like we’re managing moisture in a risotto).
- Torch time! Grab your tomatoes, pierce each one, and pile on a plate. Drizzle them with a little olive oil and season with salt. Grab a torch (I love saying that)! Blister the tomatoes until they get a nice char. If you don’t have a torch, you can just put them on a baking sheet under the broiler for about 1 minute. Chop up the blistered tomatoes and set aside.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes