Finto Cake is a traditional cake made around Easter in the Alentejo region of Portugal. A traditional Finto typically features the unique flavor of fennel. Putting a slight twist on the traditional, this recipe for finto cake adds poppy seeds, cinnamon, and fresh orange juice as additional flavor components. This is a yeasted dough so be sure to allow plenty of time for the dough to rise before shaping. Bake time is 45 to 55 minutes.
- 20 grams fresh yeast
- 120 milliliters milk (warm)
- 500 grams flour (or a little more)
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 120 grams sugar
- 100 grams butter
- 1 orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fennel
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- In a bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm milk.
- Add the flour, 2 eggs, 1 egg yolk, a pinch of salt, sugar, butter, orange juice, fennel, poppy seeds and cinnamon.
- Knead well for 10 minutes.
- Place dough in a bowl, cover with a clean cloth, and let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place the dough on a floured work surface, sprinkle with flour, and knead well until the dough ceases to stick to your hands.
- If necessary, add more flour.
- Shape the dough into a ball, and remove 1/3 of the dough.
- Shape a flattened ball with the remaining 2/3 of the dough.
- Place on a baking tray greased with butter, or a silicone mat, and slightly flatten the dough.
- Place the boiled eggs in the center, and press them into the dough.
- Knead slightly the remaining dough, and make thin rolls with it.
- Place rolls on top, in a cross shape, and brush with 1 whisked egg.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes.
|Calories950Calories from Fat290|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat290|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.