This recipe for Traditional Almagro Pickled Eggplant is the real deal. This step by step recipe will provide you with the instructions and ingredients to pickle your eggplant in the traditional Almagro fashion. Seasoned with garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper, the eggplant is submerged in a mixture of water and olive oil for a week in the refrigerate, make sure you stir occasionally! The eggplant pickles can then be placed in jars or can be canned for later use.
- 2 kilograms eggplant (Almagro, or other small eggplants)
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cayenne (sweet)
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 500 milliliters apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon roasted red peppers (paste)
- olive oil
- Remove part of the eggplant stems and half of the leaves and wash well. Boil whole for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove eggplants, reserving the cooking water, and immediately submerge in cold water.
- Once cooled, make a vertical cut down the length of each eggplant.
- Mash the garlic to form a paste and mix with the cumin, cayenne, salt, vinegar, and pepper paste. Mix until smooth.
- Place the eggplant into an earthenware pot and add the paste. Cover the eggplants with water and drizzle with olive oil to taste. Refrigerate for 1 week, stirring from time to time.
- Place the eggplants with their brine into jars. May be canned. No jar sterilization necessary.
PER SERVING *
|Calories60Calories from Fat10|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat10|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.