Tortas del Santuario/ Pork Loin SandwichesMadeleine Cocina
Tortas del Santuario or Pork Loin Sandwiches are decadent and perfect for a holiday or special occasion. The marinade for the pork loin includes Guajillo chile peppers, garlic cloves, ground black pepper, ground cloves, ground cinnamon, bay leaf, dried oregano, coarse salt, apple cider vinegar, and water. It is a sweet and savory pork sandwich that is topped with refried beans, lettuce, radishes, onion and tomato sauce. Use sourdough bread or a baguette.
- 2 chile pepper (Guajillo)
- 1 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf (small)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 pound pork loin (with bone)
- refried beans
- lettuce (chopped)
- radishes (chopped)
- chopped onion (marinated in lemon juice)
- sourdough loaf (or baguette)
- pork loin (cut into thin slices)
- tomato sauce
- 1Place the chile peppers into a small pot of water and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let the peppers soak in the water for 10 minutes until they become soft.
- 2Add the peppers, garlic, black pepper, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, oregano, salt, vinegar, and water to a food processor.
- 3Cover the pork loin with the mixture and marinate overnight, flipping the pork loin occasionally.
- 4Place the meat and the marinade into a covered pot and simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes.
- 5Uncover the pot and let the meat cook for another 20 minutes.
- 6Once the meat is ready, cut it into thin slices
- 7Cut the bread in half and lightly toast it
- 8Spread the refried beans on one slice and then place the lettuce, radishes, slices of meat, and onions on top.
- 9Add some tomato sauce on top and cover the sandwich with the other half of the bread.