Tortas de la Barda (Traditional Sandwiches from Tampico)Madeleine Cocina
Tampico is a Mexican city and port along the Gulf of Mexico. While traditional foods from this area are strong in seafood, this recipe for Tortas de la Barda, or Traditional Sandwiches from Tampico are made with black beans and skirt steak. Spiced to perfection, these delectable sandwiches are topped with turkey ham, cheeses, tomatoes, sausage, and avocado. Pick a hearty sandwich roll for this delicious sandwich.
- 100 grams black beans (prepared)
- 300 grams skirt steak
- bay leaf
- 2 allspice berries
- 8 tomatillos
- 1 serrano chiles (may substitute jalapeno)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon corn oil
- 1 pinch sugar
- 80 grams pork (rinds)
- 2 sandwich rolls (hearty)
- 2 slices turkey ham
- 2 slices cheese (head)
- 2 slices cheese (yellow)
- 4 slices tomatoes
- 1/2 avocado
- cheese (Panela, may substitute mozzarella)
- 1 turkey sausage (cooked and crumbled)
- 1Place the skirt steak into a pressure cooker and cover with water. Add a piece of onion, a bay leaf, and the allspice berries. Cook until tender and let cool completely before removing from the cooker and shredding.
- 2Boil the tomatillos with the chile pepper until cooked through. Place them in the blender with a piece of onion and a clove of garlic and liquify.
- 3Heat the oil in a pan and pour in the tomatillo puree. Add salt and sugar and, when the mixture begins to bubble, add the pork rinds. Cook for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- 4Slice the rolls in half and remove some of the bread from the middle to give room for the filling. Layer the beans, turkey ham, head cheese, yellow cheese, tomato, onion slices, avocado, shredded beef, pork rind, panela cheese, and sausage into the sandwich.
PER SERVING *
|Calories510Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.