Serve this colorful salad at a summer garden party, with crusty bread for sopping up the juices and sparkling rose. The only cooking required is for the beet, which can be peeled and boiled until knife tender, or you can look for cooked beets (sold in vacuum packs) at your local supermarket. The beet, tomatoes, and mozzarella are cut into cubes, sprinkled with lightly toasted sesame seeds and chopped cilantro, and drizzled with a balsamic vinaigrette.
- 3 tomatoes (average sized)
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1 beet (large, I bought an already cooked one)
- 1 mozzarella ball
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- fresh coriander (to taste)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Cut the beet and mozzarella into cubes.
- Toast lightly the sesame seeds.
- Place everything on a platter, sprinkle with sesame seeds and fresh coriander.
- Season with a vinaigrette with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and crushed and chopped garlic clove.