Tomato and Chorizo Flavored MusselsOn dine chez Nanou
Mussels are often flavored with chorizo in Spain and Portugal, and here the two are simmered with tomatoes and white wine to make a brothy main course. Look for dried chorizo, which is shelf-stable and sold with salami and other cured sausages. Be sure to discard any mussels that remain open before cooking, and any that remain closed after cooking (give them a tap just to make sure). Here, the mussels are served over steamed bulgur, which soaks up the flavorful juices.
- 1 1/5 kilograms mussels
- 1 glass dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can tomatoes (pulp)
- 80 grams chorizo (soft)
- 150 grams bulgur wheat
- 1Wash and clean the mussels under cold water.
- 2Cut the chorizo into small cubes.
- 3Heat a pan with olive oil.
- 4Quickly brown the chorizo, add the mussels.
- 5Stir, over high heat.
- 6Add a glass of white wine, lower the heat, and cover for the mussels to open.
- 7Add the crushed tomatoes.
- 8Season with salt, and simmer for about 10 minutes over low heat.
- 9Cook the bulgur according to package directions. Set aside.
- 10Place 4 tablespoons of bulgur in some bowls, then cover with the mussels, the cooking juice, and add some chopped, fresh basil.