Tomato & Basil Cauliflower PizzaTia Mowry
I know, I know. A cauliflower crust sounds crazy, but you will be amazed by how delicious it is.If you’re passing on flour but can’t live without pizza, this is your answer!
- sea salt (to taste)
- 1 head cauliflower (small)
- 3/4 cup Daiya dairy-free soy-free mozzarella cheese shreds
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup roasted marinara sauce
- 1 plum tomatoes
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 1Fill a 4-quart pot with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cut the florets off the head of cauliflower (you can save the stalks for another use). Add them to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until they look like grains of couscous. Alternately, you can do this using the smallest holes on a box grater.
- 2Salt the boiling water, and add the cauliflower grains. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until tender.
- 3Using a fine sieve, drain the cauliflower. Let it sit in the strainer to cool for 20 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, adjust the oven rack to the lowest position. Place a pizza stone or steel on the rack, if you have one. Preheat the oven to 425 °F.
- 5Transfer the cauliflower to a clean kitchen towel. Roll the towel up and squeeze out as much water from it as possible (you’ll be surprised how much actually drains out).
- 6In a medium bowl, combine the cauliflower, 1⁄4 cup of mozzarella, and the Parmesan cheese. Stir with a fork until well mixed.
- 7Line a pizza pan with a sheet of parchment paper. Lightly grease the paper with cooking spray. Gather the cauliflower mixture into a ball and place it at the center of the parchment paper. Press it out into a 10-inch circle, making sure there are no holes in the crust. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden around the edges.
- 8Remove the pan from the oven. Spread the marinara sauce over the crust, leaving a 1⁄2-inch border. Sprinkle the remaining 1⁄2 cup of mozzarella cheese over the sauce. Top with the tomato slices. Return the pizza to the oven, and bake for 10 to 12 minutes more, until the cheese is melted and the crust is well browned. Arrange the basil on top, and serve immediately.