Tomato Soup with Cottage CheeseReceitas Da Felicidade!
What better way to surprise the kids after they run inside from playing in the snow than a piping hot bowl of delicious and hearty soup. This Tomato Soup with Cottage Cheese is just the cure to the winter chills. It’s so much more than the traditional canned tomato soup, and will beg for seconds. This soup kicks up the traditional favorite by using cherry tomatoes, whole canned tomatoes, mint, pennyroyal, garlic, celery, and onions. Don’t forget the bread and cottage cheese!
- 300 grams cherry tomatoes
- 1 can tomatoes (whole)
- mint sprigs (chopped)
- Pennyroyal sprigs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled and chopped)
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 onions
- bread (Thick slices Alentejo, 2 or 3 days old)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 2Add mint, pennyroyals, 1 garlic clove, and two tablespoons of olive oil to cherry tomatoes, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 3Cook in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- 4Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil a large frying pan, saute onion, 2 garlic cloves, and a few more sprigs of pennyroyal, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5Pour in the can of tomatoes, celery, and 1 empty tomato can of water.
- 6Crush the tomatoes with a spoon.
- 7Reduce the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 8Remove the cherry tomatoes from the oven and add them whole to the soup.
- 9Reduce the heat a little more, add coarse chunks of bread.
- 10Let the soup boil for another 8 to 10 minutes.
- 11Season to taste, adding more salt and pepper if desired.
- 12Remove from heat and serve immediately, sprinkle with crumbled cottage cheese.