Regardless of whether you think tomatoes are a fruit or vegetable, they make a delicious jam! Requiring only six ingredients, this tomato jam is the perfect spread for crackers or on your favorite bread. This recipe yields about three jars of jam.
- 1 kilogram plum tomatoes (ripe, weighed after peeled)
- 400 grams white sugar
- 400 grams brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 lemon peel
- 1/2 lemon juice
- To peel the tomatoes, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- When water is boiling, add tomatoes, and leave in the water for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the tomatoes from the pot, and put them in a bowl of very cold water (you can even add ice). Let soak for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Remove from pan, and the skin will peel off easily.
- In a high sided pan, add the tomatoes broken in pieces (with seeds and everything), sugar, cinnamon stick, lemon peel, and lemon juice.
- Simmer on a low heat, stirring occasionally.
- When boiling (careful of splashing), stir more frequently.
- When most of the liquid has evaporated, turn off the heat, and remove the cinnamon stick and lemon peel.
- Stir the jam with the mixer, until you reach the desired consistency.
- Heat again. To check if the jam is ready, place a little bit on a plate, and run a spoon through it, if the spoon makes a road-like trace, it's ready. Never forget that when cold, the jam will gain even more consistency.
- Immediately, pour the jam in sterilized jars, cover, and turn upside down for a few minutes to create a natural vacuum.
PER SERVING *
|Calories810Calories from Fat┅|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat┅|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.