- 3 pounds chicken (whole, or 1-2 carcass)
- 10 cups water
- 3/4 cup galangal (thinly sliced)
- 2 stalks lemongrass (lower thick portion only, thinly sliced on the diagonal, pounded)
- 9 kaffir lime leaves (ripped edges, divided)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled whole)
- 1 shallot (large, sliced)
- 4 Thai chilies (fresh, broken in half)
- 10 large shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 15 ounces straw mushrooms (whole peeled, drained and rinsed)
- 6 tablespoons fish sauce
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons chili paste in soybean oil
- cilantro leaves (to garnish)
- Place chicken in stock pot and just cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add 3/4 cup galangal, thinly sliced; 2 stalks lemongrass, lower thick portion only, pounded; 2 to 4 kaffir lime leaves ripped around the edges; 2 garlic cloves, peeled whole; 1 large shallot, sliced; and 2 to 4 fresh Thai chilies, broken in half to the stock and allow to simmer for 1 1/2 hours, uncovered. Skim off the sediment often while it simmers.
- Remove the whole chicken and reserve for another dish. Skim off any additional fat and strain stock through cheesecloth and into a medium stock pot. Pro tip: Pull the chicken meat off the bones and save for another dish. Also, double the stock amount to store half in the refrigerator, tightly sealed, for up to three weeks. "
- Bring Thai chicken broth to simmer over medium-high heat.
- Add 8 to 10 large shrimp, peeled and deveined, and 1 can whole peeled straw mushrooms, drained and rinsed. Cook until the shrimps turn opaque pink, about 1 minute.
- Stir in 6 Tbsp. fish sauce, 6 Tbsp. lime juice, and 3 tbsp. chili paste in soybean oil.
- Garnish with 3 to 5 kaffir lime leaves and cilantro leaves.