Toad in the Hole is a classic recipe hailing from the British Isles. It consists of sausages in yorkshire pudding batter and is typically served with an onion gravy. This Toad in the Hole incorporates the flavors of an onion gravy into the bake itself. The sausages are cooked alongside onions, garlic, fennel, and thyme for a rich explosion of flavor with every bite. Covered in the batter and cooked to a golden brown crisp, this is a traditional dish that will not let you down.
- olive oil (for frying)
- 8 sausages (sliced into rounds)
- 2 onions (medium, finely sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (diced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
- ground black pepper
- 5 medium eggs
- 275 milliliters milk
- 275 milliliters carbonated water
- 275 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Prepare the crust 1 hour before you are ready to bake. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs together. Then whisk in the milk and water carefully.
- Whisk in the sifted flour and salt. The mixture is not very thick. Set aside to rest 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- In an oven-proof skillet or pan, heat up a drizzle of olive oil and fry the sausages until they are crispy on all sides. They do not have to be cooked all the way through.
- Add the onions and saute 5 minutes. Then add the garlic, thyme, and fennel (optional). Stir and saute 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- With the pan still hot, pour the batter over the sausage/onion mixture. Sprinkle ground black pepper on top.
- Bake 15 minutes making sure not to open the oven door. Only after 15 minutes has passed open the door briefly to all the steam to escape.
- Then bake another 5 minutes for the top of the batter to brown.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1170Calories from Fat680|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat680|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.