You need not wait until going to a restaurant to enjoy tiramisu, the perennially popular Italian layered dessert that has a wonderful contrast of creamy custard and soft, cakey cookies in every bite. As this recipe shows, tiramisu is easy enough to prepare at home, and makes an impressive final course for a dinner party or holiday celebration -- especially when topped with dark chocolate shavings and rhubarb jam (your own product or favorite store-bought variety).
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 250 grams mascarpone
- 1/2 cup liqueur (Carolans)
- cold coffee (to taste)
- 1 package biscuits (ladyfingers)
- dark chocolate (grated)
- rhubarb jam
- Separate the yolks from the egg whites.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the egg yolks with the sugar until the mixture is creamy.
- Add the mascarpone cheese and continue to mix.
- Whisk the egg whites and add to the mixture.
- Pour the Carolans whiskey liqueur and coffee into a deep dish. Soak the biscuits in mixture, taking care not to over soak causing the biscuits to fall apart.
- Line a glass baking dish with the soaked biscuits. Then cover with a layer of the mascarpone mixture. Continue layering the biscuits and mascarpone mixture until all ingredients are used, topping with the last of the mascarpone mixture.
- Smooth the surface and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, top with rhubarb jam and grated dark chocolate.