- 3 1/2 ounces white chocolate (broken into pieces)
- 7 ounces dark chocolate (broken into pieces)
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (plus extra for dusting)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pound mascarpone
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 2 leaves gelatine (soaked in cold water, or 1 1/2 tsp powdered gelatin, bloomed in 1 tbsp cold water)
- 3 1/2 ounces amaretti (small, or other almond-flavored cookies)
- For the decoration, melt the white chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Melt half the dark chocolate in a separate heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Spread the dark chocolate thinly on a cool marble board or baking sheet. Allow to cool slightly, then spread the white chocolate over the top. Chill until set, then scrape with a sharp knife into rolls. Chill the rolls.
- For the cake, preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a 10 inch springform pan and dust with flour. Melt the remaining dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Allow to cool for 5 mins.
- Beat the egg whites and 5 tbsp water to stiff peaks, while gradually adding 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, then beat in the melted chocolate. Sift in the flour, cocoa and baking powder and gently fold in with a spatula. Spoon into the prepared pan and smooth out. Bake for 20 mins, until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- For the filling, mix the mascarpone and 3/4 cup sugar in a bowl. Whip 1 cup cream to stiff peaks. In a saucepan, bring the milk to a boil and dissolve the espresso powder in it. Allow to cool a little, then pour 5 tsp into a bowl. Dissolve gelatine in the 5 tsp of espresso milk (if using leaves, squeeze out excess moisture first) and stir into the mascarpone. Gently fold in the whipped cream.
- To assemble, remove cake from pan and cut in half horizontally by inserting a knife into the center and rotating the cake around it. Place the bottom half on a cake plate and place a cake ring around it (or use the springform ring, without the bottom). Spread half the mascarpone cream on the cake layer. Set aside 1 tbsp of the remaining espresso milk, then briefly soak the amaretti in the remainder, and arrange them on top of cream. Spread the remaining mascarpone cream over the amaretti then lightly press the second cake layer on top. Chill for 1 hour.
- For the topping, whip 3/4 cup cream with 1 tsp vanilla extract and the reserved 1 tbsp espresso milk to stiff peaks. Remove the cake ring and spread the topping over the top and sides of the cake. Chill for 15 mins. Dust with cocoa powder and decorate with chocolate curls.
PER SERVING *
|Calories410Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.