- 4 eggs (separated, at room temperature)
- 3/4 cup sugar (plus 1/2 cup extra)
- 2/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon coffee granules (instant)
- 2 cups cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 cups cream (whipped)
- dark chocolate (grated, to decorate)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a deep 8 inch round cake pan. Line base with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites in a small clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup of sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until dissolved. Beat in egg yolks.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Sift cornstarch, cocoa powder and baking powder twice into a large bowl, then sift over egg mixture. Fold to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, then smooth surface. Bake tor 30-35 minutes or until cake springs back when touched. Turn out onto a wire rack. Turn cake upright and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine 1 3/4 cup of water and extra sugar in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook and stir for 1-2 mins or until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, without stirring, for 3 mins. Stir in coffee and cool. Chill for 1 hour.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar in a small bowl until smooth. Beat in 1/3 cup of the coffee syrup. Fold in whipped cream. Reserve 1 cup of cream mixture. Divide remaining cream mixture into 3 equal portions.
- Cut cake horizontally into 3 equal layers and place one layer on a serving plate. Brush with 1/4 cup of the coffee syrup, then spread a portion of cream mixture over top of cake. Top with second piece of remaining cake. Brush with 1/4 cup of remaining coffee mixture and spread with portion of remaining cream mixture. Repeat layers. Spread reserved cream mixture around side of cake and press chocolate onto side of cake. Chill cake for 3 hours before serving.
|Calories540Calories from Fat300|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat300|
|% DAILY VALUE|