- 9 tablespoons butter (at room temperature)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (Dutch, plus extra for dusting)
- 2/3 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 5 ounces mascarpone cheese (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons instant coffee powder (dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water, cooled)
- 12 chocolate (coated coffee beans)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. For the batter, use an electric mixer to beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Sift in flour and cocoa powder and stir in milk until just combined. Spoon into prepared pan. Bake 15 mins, until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for the mascarpone mixture, beat cream, mascarpone and powdered sugar in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Stir in coffee. Set aside 1/4 cup of the mixture.
- Using a small sharp knife, cut a shallow cone-shaped piece, about 3/4 inch deep, out of the top of each cupcake, leaving a 1/3 inch border. Cut each cone in half down the middle. Spoon mascarpone mixture into hole. Top each cupcake with the 2 cake pieces, 1 tsp reserved mascarpone mixture and 1 coffee bean in the middle. Dust with extra cocoa powder to serve.
|Calories440Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.