This traditional Portuguese dessert is typically enjoyed around Christmas time for a special sweet treat. The dough is simple to make with just 10 ingredients and it is lightly flavored with ginger and orange for a nice bit of zest. The dough is fried in oil for a crisp and delicate texture. Once the fried dough has cooled for a bit, a spinkle of cinnamon and sugar finishes them off with a sparkly look.
- 300 grams wheat flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 0.5 liters milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger powder
- 50 grams margarine (at room temperature)
- 1 orange juice (and zest)
- sugar (to sprinkle to taste)
- cinnamon (to sprinkle to taste)
- Pour flour In a large bowl, and make a well in the middle, add sugar, butter, orange zest, ginger and eggs in the well.
- Mix well, then gradually add milk and orange juice.
- Whip for a few more minutes until custard is uniform and creamy.
- Dip whey in a frying pan with hot oil for a few seconds (this step is really important).
- Drain a little, and then dip in dough without fully covering it.
- Place whey in a little oil and stir until the dough is freed.
- If the filhoses are too thin, steep a few more seconds in the dough, or add a little more flour until the desired consistency is attained.
- Fry on both sides until golden.
- Remove and place on a paper towel to absorb excess grease.
- Once slightly cooled, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon to taste.
PER SERVING *
|Calories580Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.