- 1 1/2 pounds tilapia fillets (cut in 2-inch piece)
- 32 ounces seafood stock (carton)
- 32 ounces chicken stock (carton, no salt added)
- 6 slices bacon (smokey)
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or kosher salt)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon white pepper (or black)
- chili (Crushed, flake, optional)
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- shallots (lots of, thinly sliced, about 1/2 cup)
- green onion
- canola oil
- oil (Paper towel to absorb excess)
- Heat up your pot at medium high heat. When it's hot, place bacon and cook till it starts to get a little crispy. Turn them over to cook the other side. Don't crispy them as we will add stock to smokey flavor
- You will see oil from bacon now. Transfer oil to a pan, not all, but leave about 1 teaspoon in the pot. Set aside.
- Add seafood stock, chicken stock, soy sauce, pepper, and sugar. Bring it to boil. Simmer it with a lid on for about 15 mins. Remove bacons. You can save the stock at this stage. Cover it and put it in a fridge. It can be saved for up to 3 days.
- In the meantime, heat up oil from bacon. If you don't have enough, add canola oil. The amount of oil should be enough to pan fry shallots. Stir once in a while so that it won't get burnt. When shallots turn light brown, remove them by using a slotted spoon and leave them on prepared paper towel. This is about 10 mins or so. The remaining can be saved in a fridge up to a week.
- Add fish in the pot as we will cook it in there to add flavor to the fish itself and to the stock Cook about 5 mins and use a slotted spoon to scoop it out. Set aside. You can save it and put it in the fridge.
- How to put it together:
- It tastes better when you finish it the same day, otherwise the rice will soak up all the soup and it doesn't taste that great
- This is what I do: If you think you're going to make only 2 bowls tonight, pour stock into a medium saucepan. Bring it to boil. Add rice, let it simmer for 15 mins with the lid on.
- Add fish, let it continue simmering for another 10 mins.
- Add 1 tablespoon of chopped green onion and cilantro. Turn heat off. Let it sit for a few mins.
- Scoop to a bowl and top with 1/2 tablespoon of fried shallots and 1 teaspoon of chopped green onion and cilantro.
PER SERVING *
|Calories820Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE*|