Three-Layer Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese FrostingKITCHENAID
Three towering layers of moist, spice-filled cake and cream cheese frosting dotted with golden raisins, walnuts, flake coconut, and grated carrots is simply impossible to resist. Instead of completely frosting the sides of the cake, we give the cake a homespun look and let the beautiful, golden cake layers show. The top is frosted, and garnished with a little flair: flake coconut. We keep it simple and leave the coconut untoasted, but know you can toast the coconut, if you like. Uses KitchenAid® Stand Mixer and Sifter + Scale Attachment.
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter (softened)
- all purpose flour (for dusting pans)
- 6 carrots (trimmed and grated, 3 cups lightly packed)
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
- 16 oz. cream cheese (2 8-oz. pkgs., at room temperature)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes (for garnish, optional)
- Special Equipment: KitchenAid® Stand Mixer; KitchenAid® Sifter + Scale Attachment; Three 9-in/23-cm cake pans with 11/2-in/4-cm sides; parchment paper; food processor fitted with the medium shredding disk or a box grater; offset spatula
- Position one rack in the center and a second rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350ºF/180ºC/gas 4.
- Butter three 9-in/23-cm cake pans with 11/2-in/4-cm sides. Line the bottom of each pan with a circle of parchment paper. Butter the parchment paper. Sprinkle 1 pan with a spoonful of flour, and then tilt and tap the pan to distribute the flour evenly. Turn the pan upside down over the sink and gently shake out the excess flour. Repeat with the second and third pans.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories790Calories from Fat500|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat500|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes