Everyone will be asking for your recipe after they try this creamy, cheesy cauliflower bake topped with buttery Parmesan breadcrumbs.
- 1 1/2 pounds cauliflower florets
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt (divided)
- black pepper
- 3 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese (freshly, divided)
- 2 ounces grated Gruyere cheese (freshly)
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 ounce grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter (melted)
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Line a large baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Spray a 9” square baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Chop the cauliflower into 1” florets. Arrange the florets onto the lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with 1/2 tsp. salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir with rubber spatula to distribute the oil.
- Roast the cauliflower for 10 minutes, until the oil is sizzling and the outsides of the florets are slightly softened. Remove the baking sheet from the oven.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375° F.
- Finely mince the garlic.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt 2 Tablespoons of butter. Once melted, add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Sprinkle the flour into the pot. Whisk to thoroughly combine. Continue whisking for 1-2 minutes, until the roux turns slightly golden and begins to smell toasty.
- Slowly stream the milk into the pot while continuing to whisk. Cook the mixture, whisking steadily for 4-5 minutes, until it begins to thicken and bubble.
- Once bubbling, turn off the heat. Add a 1/2 cup of the shredded cheddar, all of the Gruyere cheese, 1/2 tsp. salt, and a pinch of black pepper to the pot. Whisk slowly until the cheeses are fully melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Once the sauce is smooth, add the roasted cauliflower to the pot. Stir until the florets are thoroughly coated.
- Pour the contents of the pot into the greased baking dish.
- Place the bread crumbs, parmesan, remaining cheddar cheese. ¼ tsp. salt, and black pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Mix with a fork to combine. Add 4 Tablespoons of melted butter to the bowl, and stir until all the breadcrumbs are moistened. Sprinkle the crumbs in an even layer over the cauliflower.
- Transfer the baking dish to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the gratin for 18-22 minutes, until the edges are bubbling and the top is golden brown.
- Remove the dish from the oven. Allow it to rest for 10 minutes before serving.