Thit KhoPork Foodservice
1/4 cup vegetable oil
5 pounds pork shoulder
2 cups white onion (julienne)
1 1/2 cups carrots (medium dice)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 cloves garlic (minced)
2 jalapeno chilies (sliced)
2 cinnamon sticks
4 star anise
1/2 cup fish sauce
2 1/2 quarts pork stock
1/4 cup coconut milk
3 tablespoons cilantro (chopped)
1 cup water
1 cup white wine vinegar
5 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 red onion (julienne)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
5 pounds pork shoulder bones
1 cup celery (small dice)
1 cup carrots (small dice)
2 cups onions (small dice)
1/2 cup mirin
2 tablespoons garlic (crushed)
8 ounces shiitake (sliced)
1 tablespoon whole peppercorn
2 bay leaves
6 quarts water
Discover more recipes from Pork Foodservice
11. Cut pork shoulder into large 1” thick steaks and season with salt and pepper
22. Add vegetable oil to hot sauce pan, and sear pork steaks to golden brown then remove.
33. Add onions and carrots and saute for 7-10 minutes.
44. Add sugar and garlic and saute an additional minute, stirring constantly
55. Add jalapeno, cinnamon stick, and star anise.Stir to evenly coat all ingredients.
66. Add fish sauce, pork stock, pork steaks and bring to light simmer.
77. Simmer for about an hour. Remove steaks from broth and cut into large dice pieces. Return pork, and juices back into the pot and continue simmering for an additional 30-45 minutes. Until pork is nice and tender.
88. Add coconut milk, lime juice, and cilantro.
99. Serve in a bowl with pickled red onions, and piece of rustic bread.
101. Add olive oil to hot stock pot.Add bones.
112. Sear bones on all sides until dark and caramel color.
123. Add mirepoix. Sauté until evenly coated and tender.
134. Deglaze pan with mirin.
145. Add garlic, shitake, peppercorns, bay leaf, and water.
156. Simmer until reduced by half.Skim excess impurities throughout the process.
167. Strain stock through chinois.
171. Combine water, vinegar, sugar, and salt.
182. Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes.Cool liquid.
193. Pour cooled pickling liquid over onions
204. Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes.