- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 5 pounds pork shoulder
- 2 cups white onion (julienne)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots (medium dice)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 jalapeno chilies (sliced)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 star anise
- 1/2 cup fish sauce
- 2 1/2 quarts pork stock
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 lime
- 3 tablespoons cilantro (chopped)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 red onion (julienne)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 pounds pork shoulder bones
- 1 cup celery (small dice)
- 1 cup carrots (small dice)
- 2 cups onions (small dice)
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons garlic (crushed)
- 8 ounces shiitake (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorn
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 quarts water
- 1. Cut pork shoulder into large 1” thick steaks and season with salt and pepper
- 2. Add vegetable oil to hot sauce pan, and sear pork steaks to golden brown then remove.
- 3. Add onions and carrots and saute for 7-10 minutes.
- 4. Add sugar and garlic and saute an additional minute, stirring constantly
- 5. Add jalapeno, cinnamon stick, and star anise.Stir to evenly coat all ingredients.
- 6. Add fish sauce, pork stock, pork steaks and bring to light simmer.
- 7. Simmer for about an hour. Remove steaks from broth and cut into large dice pieces. Return pork, and juices back into the pot and continue simmering for an additional 30-45 minutes. Until pork is nice and tender.
- 8. Add coconut milk, lime juice, and cilantro.
- 9. Serve in a bowl with pickled red onions, and piece of rustic bread.
- 1. Add olive oil to hot stock pot.Add bones.
- 2. Sear bones on all sides until dark and caramel color.
- 3. Add mirepoix. Sauté until evenly coated and tender.
- 4. Deglaze pan with mirin.
- 5. Add garlic, shitake, peppercorns, bay leaf, and water.
- 6. Simmer until reduced by half.Skim excess impurities throughout the process.
- 7. Strain stock through chinois.
- 1. Combine water, vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- 2. Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes.Cool liquid.
- 3. Pour cooled pickling liquid over onions
- 4. Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes.