Soup is a sensational way to come in from the cold and warm up your spirit and your body. This recipe for Thai Soup to Celebrate the Year of the Hare is a decadent soup that combines lots of rich ingredients like coconut milk, tumeric, chicken and rice noodles with aromatic spices and vegetables. You can get all the ingredients at your local store, so you can pick them up the next time you go shopping.
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 200 milliliters coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 centimeters fresh ginger (peeled)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 0.75 grams cooked chicken (cut into small pieces, taken from the bones; otherwise, poach chicken breasts in the broth before starting the recipe and then chop them finely)
- 250 grams vegetables (green beans, snow peas, bean sprouts)
- 150 grams rice noodles
- fresh coriander
- fresh chili (optional)
- In a casserole, pour the chicken stock and warm it over medium heat. Cook the noodles as directed on the package, drain them at the last moment to keep them warm.
- Cook the beans and peas in boiling water until they are just cooked, but still crisp. The soy bean sprouts should remain raw. Drain the vegetables, rinse them under cold water to keep them green and set aside.
- Add all ingredients to the broth except the vegetables and noodles, stir and heat without boiling for 4/5 minutes. Add the vegetables and heat 2-3 minutes.
- Divide the noodles into the bowls and cover with the soup , adding the chicken and vegetables first then topping with the broth. Top each bowl with soy sprouts and fresh cilantro. If you wish, you can add some thinly sliced chili for a little bit of spice.