- 1 chicken (3 1/2 lbs., 1,590 g, halved lenghwise)
- 2 tablespoons ginger root (minced)
- 2 tablespoons lemongrass (minced)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves (and stems, minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (thin)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 cup coconut milk
- sweet chili sauce (for serving)
- Split a 3 1/2 lb. bird into two halves and place inside a gallon size zip top bag. Pro tip: To split the bird in half, start with the chicken lying down spine side up. Using clean kitchen shears hold the tail and cut along each side of the spine and remove. Next, using a sharp knife, cut the middle of the bird, lengthwise and slowly split it apart and remove the keel bone with your hands. Once the bone is removed continue to cut the chicken into two halves.
- For the marinade: Combine 2 Tbsp. (30 g) ginger root, minced, 2 Tbsp. (30 g) lemongrass, minced, 1 Tbsp. (15 g) cilantro leaves and stems, minced, 1 Tbsp. (15 g) sugar, 2 Tbsp. (30 g) curry powder, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 2 tsp. (10 g) white pepper, 1/4 cup (60 ml) thin soy sauce, and 1 cup (240 ml) coconut milk in a blender and blend them until smooth.
- Pour the marinade mixture over the bird and coat it evenly. Close the bag well and massage. Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Blot off excess marinade. Lay the chiken halves skin up on a foil-lined sheet pan and bake for about 45 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°F (71°C) in the fleshy part of the thigh.
- Allow chicken to rest for at least 10 minutes. Pro tip: Resting the chicken allows the meat to retain its liquid, making it moist before serving.
- To finish and add flavor, grill the chicken for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Rotate the bird halfway through to create charred cross marks. Pro tip: Cover the bird with a sheet of aluminum foil weighted down with a heavy skillet on top."
- Check to see if it's done. Internal temperature should read 165°F (74°C).
- Each chicken half can be cut into 4 pieces. Serve with sweet chili sauce.
|Calories220Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.