Tender Chicken in SpicesLa Cocina de Babel
This tender chicken is flavorful and accompanied by your favorite soup vegetables. Seasoned with cinnamon, bay leaves, and a chinese-five spice blend, this chicken is packed with flavor. Served in a creamy sauce alongside leeks, celery, carrots, and onions the chicken is baked to perfection. Ready in a little over an hour, this dish is not labor intensive allowing you to multitask a bit while waiting for it to cook. Serve with steamed rice or with your favorite crusty bread.
- 25 grams butter
- 1 chicken (large, cut into 8 portions)
- 700 milliliters chicken stock
- 3 whole garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder (Chinese)
- 1 leeks (washed and chopped into large pieces)
- 1 stick celery (green, chopped into large pieces)
- 4 carrots (peeled and quartered lengthwise)
- 1 onions (quartered)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn flour
- 150 milliliters cream
- 1Preheat the oven to 180C.
- 2Melt the butter in an oven-proof dish with lid. Add the chicken and saute.
- 3Cover the chicken with the stock and add the garlic, bay leaf, five spice, and cinnamon stick. Bring to the boil.
- 4Cover and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- 5Remove from the oven, and add the carrots, leeks, celery, and onion.
- 6Cover and return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
- 7Remove from the oven and transfer the stock to a saucepan.
- 8Bring to a boil and then simmer until sauce thickens and is reduced by 1/3.
- 9Mix the cornflour with a little water and add to the boiling stock. Stir until it thickens.
- 10Add the cream and turn off the heat.
- 11Pour the creamy stock over the chicken and vegetables and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories530Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.