- black salt (or rock salt)
- 18 oysters (fresh, shucked, shells cleaned)
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup champagne
- 1/2 teaspoon wasabi paste
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 6 cups vegetable oil (for deep-frying)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 spring onions (finely sliced)
- Fill a serving platter with salt. Top with cleaned oyster shells.
- Lightly whisk egg white until foamy. Add flour, champagne and a handful of ice cubes. Whisk gently until almost smooth. Set aside to rest.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, whisk together wasabi, palm sugar, fish sauce, lime juice and 1 tsp water. Spoon a little sauce onto each oyster.
- Heat vegetable oil over high heat. Dry oysters on paper towels. Working in batches, lightly dust with cornstarch then coat in batter. Carefully dip in oil and fry for around 20 mins, or until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Place oyster back into shells. Top with spring onions. Serve immediately with remaining dipping sauce.