Author: Nava Recipe type: Tortilla specialties Cuisine: Vegan / Healthy Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 20 mins Total time: 30 mins Serves: 4 to 6
Two high-protein foods (with lots more going for them nutritionally) — tempeh and walnuts — team up in a tasty taco filling that goes a long way
Nutrition information Per serving (2 tacos): Calories: 400; Total fat: 28g; Protein: 17g; Carbs: 26g; Fiber: 10g; Sodium: 148 mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (medium-large, chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (or medium red)
- 8 ounces tempeh (package)
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (good-quality)
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt (to taste)
- Sriracha sauce (or Picante, to taste, optional)
- 12 soft corn tortillas (or crispy taco shells)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the bell pepper and continue to sauté until the onion is lightly browned.
- Cut the block of tempeh into several chunks. Place in a food processor fitted with the metal blade and pulse on and off a few times.
- Add the walnut pieces and onion and pepper mixture, pulse on and off until everything is finely and evenly chopped. Be careful not to overprocess — you don’t want this to turn into a puree.
- Transfer the mixture to the skillet. Add the tomato sauce and seasonings. Stir together, bring to a simmer, then allow to cook over low heat for 15 to 20 minute to allow the flavors to marry.
- Serve straight from the skillet or transfer to a serving container, allowing everyone to construct their own tacos using soft corn tortillas or crispy taco shells, plus the rest of the suggested embellishments.
PER SERVING *
|Calories550Calories from Fat350|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat350|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.