- 1 duck (4 to 5 lbs all fat removed)
- 1 cup sherry wine
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (finely-chopped)
- 2 green onions (coarsely chopped)
- 2 star anise (whls, crushed)
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper (to 2)
- 1 cup black tea leaves
- 5 tablespoons rice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (packed)
- 1 green onion (slivered)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds (ground)
- rice noodles (Chinese)
- Thaw duck, if frozen. Remove neck and giblets from body cavity; rinse and pat dry. Pierce duck all over with a fork. Truss duck tightly.
- In a small bowl combine sherry, salt, ginger, green onions, star anise, and pepper. Place duck in a large plastic resealable bag. Add marinade; rub inside duck cavity and on skin. Close bag and marinate in refrigerator 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, prepare Smoking Packet: Mix tea, rice, and brown sugar on heavy-duty aluminum foil. Fold up ends to create a foil packet; poke small holes in it so smoke can escape.
- Remove marinated duck from bag; pat dry. Grill/smoke as follows.
- For charcoal grills: Place smoking packet directly on prepared coals. Insert cooking grate and place duck, breast-side up, in center of cooking grate.
- For gas grills: Remove one cooking grate and center the remaining cooking grate on grill. Place smoking packet in front left corner of grill on Flavorizer Bars, directly over heat source. (Note: If you have a smoker attachment in your Weber Grill, do NOT use it for this recipe as the sugar will melt and stick to the inside of the box. Use the smoking packet described above.) Place duck, breast-side up, in center of cooking grate.
- Grill duck 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat thermometer inserted into thigh registers 180 degrees and the juices run clear. Smoke may not last the entire cooking time, but will be sufficient to flavor the bird.
- Remove cooked duck from grill and let stand 10 minutes. Carve into serving portions and sprinkle with green onion and coriander. Serve with Chinese rice or egg noodles.
PER SERVING *
|Calories600Calories from Fat450|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat450|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.