Young chefs can help put together this entree salad. Serve along side with tortilla chips and an ice tea.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 8 ounces tomatoes (cut up)
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 3 teaspoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- black pepper
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 2 tomatoes (cut in wedges)
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- In heavy 9-inch skillet, brown ground pork over moderate heat. Drain. Stir in undrained canned tomatoes, onion, chili powder and garlic powder. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until most liquid evaporates, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, line four individual salad bowls with large lettuce leaves; tear remaining lettuce into bite-size pieces. Divide among four salad bowls. Spoon about 1/2 cup pork mixture onto lettuce bed in each salad bowl. Arrange tomato wedges atop salad; sprinkle with cheese and crushed corn chips, if desired.