Tarte Flambee, as it is known in the Alsace region of France, or Flammkuchen, as it is known in Germany, particularly in Baden, features a thinly rolled dough that turns crispy when baked and is topped with créme frâiche and other toppings. This recipe for tarte flambee features smoked bacon and onions along with the créme frâiche mixture. Baked for 30 to 40 minutes, this dish is an absolute treat and cultural experience. Served at festivals throughout the fall, Flammkuchen is a German favorite.
- 250 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 125 milliliters milk (tepid)
- 1 tablespoon butter (room temperature)
- 2 onions (large, finely sliced)
- 150 grams smoked bacon (sliced or diced)
- 100 grams crème fraîche
- 100 grams cream cheese
- 1 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
- Place the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl or in a food processor.
- Add the milk while mixing the ingredients, then add the butter and continue to blend until it forms a smooth, non-sticky elastic dough. (If too sticky, add more flour, a little at a time. If too dry, add more milk, very gradually.)
- Cover and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, beat the creme fraiche with the cream cheese, egg, and cornflour until smooth.
- Add the onions and caraway seeds, and stir. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Line a pizza tray with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and shape into a circle.
- Pinch the edges slightly so that the topping does not spill out.
- Place on the pizza tray and add the bacon, then pour over the onion and creme fraiche mixture.
- Bake for 30–40 minutes until set and the edges are golden.
PER SERVING *
|Calories640Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.