Tarascan SoupLa Cocina Mexicana de Pily
This savory recipe for Tarascan Soup makes the perfect warm you up meal on a cold winter day. The broth for this soup smooth and creamy and made from a blended mixture of ancho chile peppers, tomatoes, garlic, beans, and onion. Allow time for the flavors to mature at each stage of this recipe. Serve the soup with various add ins such as shredded chicken, avocado slices, queso panela, or tortilla strips. Make this soup vegetarian friendly by substituting vegetable stock for the chicken broth.
- 2 ancho chile pepper (seeded, stemmed, and quickly fried in oil)
- 1 chili (ancho, sliced and fried for garnish)
- 6 tomatoes (small or 4 large, roasted)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 onions (plus one slice)
- vegetable oil (as needed to fry)
- 500 grams beans (cooked canary, may be substituted with any other light-colored variety)
- 2 liters chicken broth
- 1/2 kilogram tortillas (thinly sliced, fried, and drained)
- 1 avocado (diced)
- 200 grams queso panela (diced, or farmer’s cheese or high moisture mozzarella)
- sour cream
- chicken (cooked and shredded, optional)
- 1In a blender, add the 2 chilies, tomato, garlic, and 1/4 onion. Strain.
- 2In a deep pot, heat a tablespoon of oil. Add the onion slice and fry until lightly brown. Remove and discard the onion slice.
- 3In the oil, add the chili sauce and stir using a wooden spoon. Season to taste and cook over medium heat.
- 4Separately, puree the cooked beans in a blender. Add bean broth as needed to puree. Strain.
- 5Once the sauce has boiled and thickened, add the beans.
- 6Add the chicken broth, season, and let it boil. Add salt if needed.
- 7Pour the hot soup into a bowl, add the fried tortilla slices, avocado, cheese, sour cream, and chicken.
PER SERVING *
|Calories830Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.