Though it may not be totally authentic, a yogurt marinade and pre-made tandoori spice blend make this whole roasted chicken one of the most tender and flavorful birds you'll ever eat.
- 5 pounds whole roasting chicken
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 3 tablespoons tandoori masala mix
- nonstick spray
- Remove the giblets from the cavity of the chicken and discard. Rinse the chicken under cold water and thoroughly pat dry with paper towels.
- Peel the garlic clove. Using the side of a cutting knife, smash the clove.
- Place the yogurt, 2 Tbs. of Tandoori spice mix, garlic clove, and salt in a very large mixing bowl. Whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Place the chicken in the bowl of and turn it two or three time until it is thickly coated on all sides with the yogurt marinade.
- Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 16-24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil and position a roasting rack inside of it.
- Carefully lift the chicken from the bowl of the marinade, allow some of the excess to drip off, and transfer it breast-side up onto the roasting rack.
- Sprinkle the top side of the chicken with the remaining Tablespoon of Tandoori spice mix. Spray the chicken lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Tie the legs of the chicken securely together with kitchen twine. Tuck the wing tips underneath the body of the chicken.
- Transfer the roasting pan to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Roast the chicken for 80-90 minutes, or until the thickest part of the chicken breast reaches an internal temperature of 160° F.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven.
- Allow the chicken to rest on the roasting rack for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Carve as desired, and serve.