Consider this the Portuguese version of pot pie or shepherd's pie, with buttermilk cornbread used as the topping (instead of pie dough or mashed potatoes, respectively). The filling is a savory mix of ground beef, mushrooms, and corn that's sauteed with garlic and onion before begin layered in the dish and topped with the cornmeal batter. The pie can go from the oven to the table for family style serving, while still warm.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup grating cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 eggs
- 500 grams ground beef
- 1 bacon slices (chopped)
- mushrooms (sliced)
- corn kernels (to taste)
- 1 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 onions (sliced)
- Preheat oven to 200°C (approximately 400°F).
- Grease a baking dish with butter.
- In a bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, cheese and salt. In another bowl, whisk olive oil, buttermilk and egg until well mixed.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Sauté onion, garlic and bacon.
- Add ground beef and cook until well browned.
- Add mushrooms and corn.
- Cook until vegetables are tender and almost all liquid has evaporated.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and top with cornmeal mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.