Tamale CasseroleLa Cocina Mexicana de Pily
Love tamales? Then you simply have to try this recipe for Tamale Casserole which is essentially a giant deconstructed tamale. The first layer of this casserole is the traditional masa mixture that is baked before the addition of the filling. The second layer is a savory poblano chili and chicken filling. The last layer is a mixture of cream and manchego cheese. Cooked until melted, this Tamale Casserole is cheesy, warm, savory, and oh so delicious.
- 130 grams butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 kilogram dough (tortilla, use masa flour and follow the instructions on the packet)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tomatoes (roasted)
- vegetable oil
- 3 poblano chilies (in thin strips)
- 1/2 kilogram chicken (cooked and shredded)
- 1/2 kilogram cream
- 150 grams manchego cheese
- 1Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 2Beat the butter, salt, and sugar until creamy.
- 3Add the dough, eggs (one by one), baking powder, and milk. Mix using your a fork and then your hands.
- 4Grease a baking pan and add the mixture.
- 5Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 6In a blender, puree the garlic, peppercorns, bay leaf, and tomatoes.
- 7Place in a saucepan and add vegetable oil, chili strips, and chicken. Season to taste and continue to cook to combine the flavors.
- 8Once the base is ready, add the filling on top.
- 9Spread cream over the filling and sprinkle with Manchego cheese.
- 10Place back in the oven until the cheese melts.