Tamal RollLa Cocina Mexicana de Pily
Make your own delicious tamale rolls with this recipe for a Mexican inspired Tamal Roll. These steamed rolls can be filled with whatever filling you so desire. Cheese, beans, poblano chiles, shredded pork, the choice is yours. Cooked in the steamer for an hour, these Tamal Rolls are moist and the flavors from the filling pervade the soft dough while it steams. This recipe uses a kitchen towel to roll the tamales, but you can also use the more traditional corn husk. Serve with Mexican rice and beans.
- 200 grams butter
- 1 kilogram dough (tortilla, use masa flour and follow the instructions on the packet)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 orange
- poblano chilies (in strips, optional)
- cheese (optional)
- beans (cooked, optional)
- cream (optional)
- sauce (optional)
- 1In a bowl, beat the butter.
- 2Once fluffy, add the dough and continue beating.
- 3Add salt and orange juice.
- 4Wet a kitchen rag, which will be used to make the roll.
- 5Place the rag on a flat surface and spread the dough on top.
- 6Add a layer of the desired filling (poblano chili strips, cheese, or beans).
- 7Using the rag, roll the dough. Close both ends with strings. Be careful to stretch the kitchen rag to avoid creases on the roll.
- 8Cook in a steamer for at least 1 hour.
- 9Remove the kitchen rag while the roll is still hot.
- 10Slice and serve with cream and sauce (optional).
PER SERVING *
|Calories1630Calories from Fat1100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat1100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.