- 2 sweet onion (large, such as Vidalia, chopped, 3 cups)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup swiss cheese (shredded, 4 oz)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 crust (package refrigerated pie crust, room temperature)
- In large skillet, cook and stir onions, brown sugar and oil for 3 minutes. Add water; cook and stir until onions are tender and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, stir together eggs, milk, cheese, salt and pepper. Stir in onion mixture; set aside. Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut pie crusts into rounds. Place in medium muffin cups, shaping to fit bottom and about 1/2 inch up the side of each cup. Spoon about 2 tablespoons onion mixture into each pie crust cup. bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes or until knife inserted in center of tartlet comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups for 5 minutes; remove from pans. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Makes 30 to 32 tartlets.
- * For extra richness, substitute heavy (whipping) cream.